Monday, February 3, 2014

Twenty Books you should read by 25 (Part I)

“Beauty is rarely soft or consolatory. Quite the contrary. Genuine beauty is always quite alarming.” 
-The Secret History
Recently I haven't been reading much at all. Between work and travel I never seem to find a moment to unwind with a good book. I think getting an iPhone has ruined a lot of our free time, instead of picking up a good read, we end up scrolling through Facebook or obsessing over Twitter. Don't get me wrong, I am a total Internet obsessive, but I am trying to cut back on the amount of time I'm idly wasting online. I thought that a book post on here would help me get back into the idea of reading again. By talking about my favourite books, it might inspire me to read a little more and put the phone or Ipad down! This will be a series of posts on my favourite books I have read so far, a little round up of the 20 books you must read before you hit 25. 
































Part I.

1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
This might seem a little obvious, or to some a little childish. However, I honestly feel that Harry Potter is cross-generational, that you are never too old to read it. The series inspired me throughout my childhood, after being introduced to it by two school friends Jack and Emma. I chose the first book in the series The Philosopher's Stone, because it's the one that started a lifelong obsession. I was the first person to get a copy of The Order of the Phoenix in my hometown, I have visited Edinburgh to see where J.K. Rowling penned the book at The Elephant House cafe and I honestly wore a cape around my house for a large portion of my life (I know, I know). Harry Potter shaped my generation, in every one of the books there is something to learn, quotes to inspire you and characters to love (Snape is by far my favourite!). If you haven't read the series yet, go do it right now, it will change your life. 

2. Au Bonheur des Dames - Emile Zola
I read this in first or second year of secondary school and loved it. The novel follows 20 year old Denise Baudu, who arrives in Paris and gets a job in the department store Au Bonheur des Dames (The Ladies' Delight). The department store is a hugely successful enterprise, with all the goods you could want, under one roof. The novel is a tale of greed, consumerism, lust and modernity, set in the beautiful landscape of Paris. 

3. Just Kids - Patti Smith
Patti Smith's lament to a time gone by is an essential read for anyone who even has a slight interest in New York or music. The book is exceptionally written, weaving together personal history and also giving major insight into cultural and social change happening in the city during this era. Smith's vivid accounts about life at the Hotel Chelsea are riveting, the people she meets and their interactions with each other, a hotbed of talent all under the one roof. Her deep relationship with Maplethorpe and their struggle together.
The book is about struggle, about art, about creating and being poor. Seriously this book is brilliant, and sometimes heartbreaking, you are rooting for Patti the whole way through and are inspired by how all these creatives' gravitated toward one place. 

4. Empire of the Sun - JG Ballard
Set in Japan during the Second World War, Ballard's semi-autobiographical tale is about a young boy struggling to survive. The book is graphic, a war story that you instantly connect with, and that keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is not usually the type of book I'd go for but I really enjoyed it, and it inspired me to go off and research Japan during this period for myself. 

5. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
This book really surprised me. When I read the cover, I initially bought it because it sounded like a nice read for travelling. However, it was so completely different than what I was expecting, (in the best way! The story is crazy, the character's are crazier and you are pulled into the novel. The story is centered around a group of six tight-knit students at Hampden College, in rural Vermont, all studying Classics. The twists and turns in their relationship is complex and fascinating. The story is intriguing and shocking, the only complaint is that the book just didn't go on forever, because I wanted more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment