Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sing Along with the Common People


Today I was thinking about all the songs I used to be obsessed with growing up and the songs that are linked to life events from the past. I started listening to some throughout the evening and thought I would share them on here:
  1. Basket Case - Green Day - I distinctly remember the first time I heard this song, in a dreary bedroom in Achaill when I was twelve. My life long friend Eavan introduced most of the house in the Gaeltacht to Green Day and we used to sit on her bed and listen to Basket Case on repeat. By the end of the two weeks everyone seemed to know the words of this song!
  2. By The Way - RHCP - Another Gaeltacht song shared with Eavan and our friend Daniel, we moshed to this at the discos...so cool
  3. Teenage Dirtbag- Wheatus - This song reminds me of my Auntie Noelle, who always sings it and did her own rendition at my birthday party....
  4. The Whistle Song - DJ Aligator Project - official theme tune to my fourth year school trip to Rome, our teacher Éanna had a whistle and by the end of the trip we convinced him to dance to this with the whistle
  5. Mr Brightside - The Killers - this song is the dancefloor anthem of my generation
  6. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
  7. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
  8. The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang - a party classic for my friends and I
  9. Gangster's Paradise - Coolio
  10. What's Up - 4 Non Blondes - Skiing song :)
  11. Radetzky March - Strauss - My grandparents are responsible for my great love of classical music and this was one of the first pieces they gave me. Myself and my cousins used to pretend to conduct this in the back of their car with it blaring.
  12. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles - a friend of mine Sophie used to sing this with me
  13. Wave of Mutilation - Pixies
  14. Danny Boy - the first song I learned in singing lessons
  15. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones - my singing debut was a hilarious rendition of this with our 'band' at a charity concert we organised in school...
  16. Oró Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile - The Dubliners - another Gaeltacht gem
  17. Cosmic Dancer - T-Rex 
  18. That's Entertainment - The Jam - 
  19. Runaway - Del Shannon - discovered this song when I was about 11 and listened to it constantly about three times a day for years.
  20. Common People - Pulp - Pulp were on every one of my teenage play lists
There are literally hundreds of songs I could mention here but these are just a few that really shaped my early years. 


2 comments:

  1. I officially love these songs! You have great taste!
    Can't beat a bit of Nirvana!

    Sarah XxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Great to get some feedback!
    :)

    ReplyDelete